Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Change of Plans

I decided to change the direction of the image I wanted to create for my reflection on Webb's depth of knowledge model. I was inspired by reading an article by UCF associate professor Carla Poindexter. Carla was my painting professor while I attended UCF and is a very influential person in my identity as an artist and an art educator. 

Here is a link to her article:  http://today.ucf.edu/ucf-forum-art-is-always-a-series-of-questions-to-contemplate-not-solve/

Prof. Poindexter's article was a commentary on her experience of working on a project where students from UCF's school of science and school of visual arts collaborated to produce a science related art assignment. She described how the aims of the project quickly evolved from a students understanding a basic concept, to one with much greater significance due to the type of meaning that was being generated by the collaboration. Her description of the students going beyond illustrating concepts to producing works that were "developed by the hearts and minds of the individual artists".

Reading the article made me want to work differently on this image as I have already produced work in this project that was more illustrative in presentation. While I think these images and the knowledge I gained from creating them achieved the effective professional learning that is at the heart of this project, I wold like to experiment more with other types of design and creative process as I did in the Summary cycle. 

I did a few new sketches to based on this new direction I wanted to take. I wanted to create an image that more directly shows how I think of higher order thinking, as if it is a different state of being. While I think it could be described as such on a conscious level, I wanted to depict it as a physical state as well. 



I decided to work with my own image so as to make this a self portrait because my understanding of high order thinking is precisely what I am attempting to create through this capstone project.




No comments:

Post a Comment