Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Webb's Depth of Knowledge Final

As I mentioned in my previous post, I changed the direction of what I wanted to create in this image in response to Webb's Depth of Knowledge model. As reaching a level of higher order thinking (HOT) is the goal that we should be guiding our students to achieve, I wanted to create an image that not only reflects this intensified cognitive ability but showing it as a physical response of activating that ability.

I started with a straight self portrait and then altered that image to illustrate what I think utilizing higher order thinking looks like. I wanted to create an oracle/soothsayer type of appearance that shows an individual in a higher state of being. According to Webb's model, the fourth level is an extended application of higher order thinking. As teachers attempt to provide this type of learning experience to their students, I think we are in fact creating and nourishing an advanced conscious ability within these individuals






The use of arts-based research on this particular topic was relevant for this professional development because the use of artistic practices, when used to research a specific topic, activates and utilizes extended thinking. Ironically, I have worked on this cycle of arts-based research longer than any other due to my reinterpretation of how I wanted to represent my understanding and the influenced I received from reading an article on the importance of continued questioning through artistic practice. I think this continued reflection showed me the true value of this style of research as it challenged me to reevaluate and focus my understanding several times throughout the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment