Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thinking Maps


Thinking Maps are visual patterns based on different thought processes. They are a clear example of arts-based research. Through thinking maps, students can visually and creatively express knowledge through the use of differently designed presentations. A great characteristic of using thinking maps is their ability to be used across subjects.  From art to science, the same learning benefits apply. By applying the maps across the curriculum, integrated thinking is encouraged through the use of similar thinking strategies.

The thinking maps professional development was one that was administered in multiple meetings. Three meetings were required to complete the training. Each map and its unique learning attributes were discussed giving a thorough explanation of the benefits of using the maps in our lessons. Along with the training was an extensive follow up requirement. The teachers were required to immediately show evidence of implementing the maps in the classroom with an example of each map and the lesson it was taught with.


I really embraced the thinking maps and used them almost every class period as a activating strategy as the students entered the room, or as a summarization activity. Due to my confident command of thinking maps and the importance they had to my lesson plans, I wanted to create an image that was more reflective of the familiarity that my students had for these maps. In this frame of thinking, I wanted to create an icon for each map that I could use in my lessons as another way of connecting my students to these maps. So if we are working through a power point, the students would see an image and know that I want them to create a bubble map or a brace map based on the icon. I think this will prove to be a fun, creative way to connect the students with the maps. 


No comments:

Post a Comment