Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summary


I decided to create an artist’s book that summarized my life journey metaphorically by depicting my life from my hometown to the town I currently live in. The book was made with pen, tape, color pencil, and marker. I used the theme of water to represent the process of making choices and following paths that have eventually lead me to my current state. Water has specific meaning along with the image of a water pump as they relate to my hometown. I depicted the different choices and obstacles that are faced in life as the different barriers and obstructions that alter the path of the water. However, the water still finds a place to accumulate. I believe this is to be an appropriate summary of the way I visualize my life’s journey. It shows understanding and provided me with an opportunity to creatively reflect on the voyage.

I enjoyed working with the information more conceptually in this application of arts-based research. While the process was similar, it provided a experience that was based more on the comprehension of the material than on the material itself. While I think the application of ABR was appropriate and meaningful in the previous applications in creating a more developed understanding of the specific practice I was working with, this form of  application created a more personal experience as it produced a more intuitive reflection of the meaning of summarizing and how it can be accomplished. 

Understanding the importance of summary is a key component to teaching. Using art to create a personal representation of what summarizing is, even in a metaphorical variety, provided me with a deeper conceptual meaning and appreciation of this element on student learning. It provided a physical artifact that I can connect with and continue to reflect upon. It is a constant reminder of the importance of this element to my teaching practice. As suggested by the PD itself, this could be used in my room as a constant reminder for the need to stop and summarize and allow the students to reflect on what we have discussed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment