Thursday, July 5, 2012

Introduction


My name is Kyle Waldrep and I am an artist, art educator, and graduate student. I teach high school art and I am currently enrolled at the University of Florida, seeking my master’s degree in art education. My years at UF have culminated into the creation of a capstone project, of which this blog is an integral element.

In my research, my goal has been to investigate and explain the benefits of using arts based research as a tool to improve active learning. Specifically, leaning in reference towards the professional development programs I have taken as part of being a first year art educator. My belief is that using the production methods and aesthetic principles of visual art to investigate, research, and reflect upon a given topic provides a deeper conceptual understanding of that topic.

This blog has been created as tool to document how I have used arts based research to enhance my professional learning towards concepts covered in different professional development programs that I have participated in. Through this platform, I will be able to post sketches and images created from my interpretation of the different professional development programs and their key concepts. This will also allow me to investigate the topic more thoroughly and contemplate different meanings such as classroom implementation. I will also post my reflections of how I personally feel my understanding of the concepts has been enhanced due to the implementation of the arts based research methods.

My hope for this account is that it may become a useful tool for the continued increase in relevance and respect that arts based research has recently gained in the educational research field. Hopefully my efforts will present evidence that arts based research provides unique characteristics of intellectual learning through broadened knowledge perspectives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment