Sunday, July 8, 2012

First ABR cycle: Cornell Notes

The first professional development program I completed, that was focused on student learning, presented to me the method of taking notes called Cornell Notes. This was presented as tool that we as teachers were to teach our students and encourage them to utilize regularly. This program was administered to the entire faculty in an approximately 45 minute session at the end of the work day on September 7, 2011. As this was the first time I was introduced to the topic, I founded it very interesting and a  learning method that could really benefit any student. As part of the program, the teachers were required to present a mini lesson to a partner based on an article of their choice. The student in the scenario, was to take "Cornell Notes" based on what was taught to them by their partner. The rolls were then reversed, allowing for the other partner to complete the note taking process. The session was completed and follow exercise was assigned that required the teachers to teach their students the Cornell Notes method and then teach a curriculum lesson where the students were required to take Cornell Notes. A copy of the lesson plan and a student example of their notes were to be submitted as part of completing the professional development program.

My use of ABR started with the notes that I took while present at the professional development session. I have always included images, (sketches and doodles), in the notes that I take as a means of connecting with information on a more personal level. I aimed at taking note of the important characteristics that Cornell Notes process gave to students and the keys to using it accurately.

Now in considering how ABR can further add meaning and enhance my professional learning on this topic, I made sketches and looked to discover the most influential characteristics that can be used in my class and as part of my curriculum. I am looking to accurately present the process in the images and highlight the most beneficial qualities. This further investigation has certainly increased my familiarity and understanding of the topic beyond what was required by the professional development program alone. 

I feel that the final image could be a useful asset in my classroom, not only for myself as a reminder of the skill, but also for my students as a way to visually see the method and become more familiar themselves with the process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment